Thursday, September 3, 2009

Genesis 29.0-36.0

Well, today I learned a lot. It was nice to have the differences in the J and P versions explained, at least the concrete ones. I had been wondering in my reading, and I will start to really pay attention now. Also, it has been great bookmarking the class’s sites, and I am excited to see what people have to say.

I skimmed over my past few blogs, and in my never ending self-conscious vanity I have found that they make little sense. I realize that as I spend an hour reading the bible, then Plotz, then writing, then bible, then Plotz, then writing, the result is a clash of words that just don’t flow. Sentences are out of order, important words are missing, violent and abstract thoughts are expressed, well, violently and abstractly. I do not know if this could be helped by anything other than coffee at eleven o clock at night, which I am just not willing to do, not even for God, not even for Dr. Sexson. So, if my haphazard writing does not improve, I apologize. I do believe that some meaning can be attained from my blogs even still, and I strive to better them in every non-caffeine related way I can.

So here is my third installment, Dear Internet:

29

Jacob Meeting Rachel, Marrying Her- J version

“So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and this seemed to him but a few days because of the love he had for her.” Indeed J somehow manages to weave poetry into the narratives, or at least human emotion. Have I been missing this human side of the bible, or is there a lack of human connections thus far? Aha, immediately this island of beauty is swept away in a myriad of human shortcomings and divine mis-interventions. Such is life.

30

Wow. Speaking of life, how about Rachel and Leah. This is one of the most entertaining bits I have read so far. Bartering of mandrakes for sex and providing Jacob a maid to sleep with in order to have more children by him. I am astounded. As this is coming from the E source, an older source comparable to the J, I cannot help but think the representation of women as nothing more than an episode of “Gossip Girl” is intentional. Subtle, for a book of Hellfire and Brimstone.

Yet, as I read on into Jacob Prospers at Laban’s Expense, I see a similar pattern. Both men wish to trick the other and go to great lengths for their own ends. However, the humor found in the previous passage is not here. The reader does not laugh at Jacob’s ingenius (if unscientific) way of increasing his riches as he does at the women’s squabbles.

More and more I cannot take this as a serious text. It is beginning to seem nothing more than a novel, a historical fiction: complete with humorous relief, violence, sex, drama and the occasional bit of insight. My hope in my continued reading is that I am forced to take the above statement back, that I do find in the Bible something truly meaning and wonderful. I guess I have a long ways to go.

31

Rachel steals the gods of her father’s house, then lies about it. Can no hero or heroine in this book accomplish anything without being an utter asshole?

Laban and Jacob Make a Covenant

The footnotes say this is wove together from E and J passages. The differences, though there, are melded into one. A hard task, I would assume.

32

As Jacob waits to meet his brother, he prays. This is the first account of a prayer to God that I can remember, at least this type of prayer. It is humble. (VERY unlike tradition) Is this showing another, truer side of Jacob? Or simply the desperation a man feels when he is backed into a corner?

Jacob Wrestles at Peniel

“For I have seen God face to face, [and I have wrestled with him?]” So. Confusing. But, Jacob is renamed Israel (that I get). My confusion mainly stems from the ‘no more eating the thigh muscle.’ Thigh muscle of humans? Or does this mean animal thighs? Is that even a good thing to be eating in the first place? For one from Montana, I have little knowledge of butchering. Help?

33

The most righteous words in the bible up to date: “But Esau said, ‘I have enough, my brother; keep what you have for yourself.’” Think about it. I doubt God agrees, what about Buddha?

34

“But they said, ‘Should our sister be treated like a whore?’” Yeah. Maybe she shouldn’t dress like one?

Ok, so that was crude. But so is the bible.

35

Ben-oni: Son of my Sorrow. This is beautiful, and so can be the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment