Sunday, September 13, 2009

Unsustainable Blogging

More reading, less blogging. I have tried the chapter by chapter approach, with very thorough results and little progress. My second experiment will be to capture the bible in bigger pieces and write about larger sections as a whole. This will serve to cut down my blog considerably and perhaps create a larger picture—giving me more time to think. On the downside, this will not be as specific or useful for my own purposes in remembering stories of the bible. At least that is my hypothesis. Who knew there was science in blogging? (Or in the Bible?)

My next entry was done in this fashion. I read most of Exodus and then wrote about it. I feel like this approach broadens my perspective on the bible. Instead of taking line for line as Plotz does, I am reading a text in its entirety and accepting it as a whole, as Northrop suggests is important. Indeed, I feel the snide remarks I might make are sliding into the backround, leaving more room for thoughts and ideas I have had time to digest and assign importance to.

Reading more at a time, beginning Northrop's book and listening to Goodman's high C have changed the way I intrepret the bible, for the better. Though some of Plotz's passages are insightful, he is becoming increasingly narrow minded in my book. I am hoping to see the beauty in the prose and the impact on the readers, as opposed to my own shock at a world that I never knew, and thus could never really understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment