Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Conservapedia

So, I was sitting in my living room checking email while my roommate was watching The Colbert Report. Someone came on as a guest, and apparently there is this new website, like wikipedia, called "Conservapedia."

Pretty freaking awesome, right?

That's what I thought. At first I had to laugh at the site- it is such a blatantly one-sided piece of work that it's hard to take it seriously. But...then...I realized: people do, and will, take it seriously. They will live their lives by the definition of Obama as defined on conservapedia, never trying to internalize their thoughts or seek another source to balance it out. Which, as my conservative roommate reminds me, is what everyone does already. Yet, there was something especially distasteful about this: it was so one sided, so obviously....wrong, that people would be hard pressed to look at anything else. To be sure, there is the liberal side of this too, although I don't know if I can think of an example as disgusting. There is one, but I can't name it at the moment.

Anyways, surfing through some articles: I highly recommend doing this, if you are looking to expand your world view and not shrink it (aka, if you are conservative and read this website only to masturbate to it, fuck you). *sorry

I happened upon a page entitled: Conservative Bible Project. This is a project designed to rewrite the Bible, taking all them nasty liberal ideas out of it. So....reverting to a pure religion. But, talking in class, what it a pure religion? It is what is included in the bible, right? Well, according to conservapedia--wrong. Our translations are horrible 7th grade reading level interpretations that completely miss the point of Christian traditions. We must retranslate, take out things that don't emphasize conservative ideals and so forth.

They have a few good points. But....the bible is so influential because of how it is written now. That is what has built its following, its popularity, its intrigue. Ripping out bits and pieces will create a religion that never existed in the first place....some ideal we wish to return to.

Overall, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But, maybe they have a point?

No comments:

Post a Comment